Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Time Out Please.

Back in 2003 I was a sophomore in high school, about a month into the school year there was a shooting and two kids were killed and another is in some form of jail, I don't know, my form of copping with stuff like that is to just walk away.

I'm looking back on that in the last few weeks with a little bit of a new view.

I'm not going to say that anything that happened was even remotely ok, 'cause it wasn't. But the media, the administration, and the public made this all out to be very one sided. A stupid kid came in and killed someone. No one touched on the fact that this kids target was a bully and had been bullying him for a very long time.

Again, let me say, I do not agree with what happened that day, the lose of all those lives was very tragic and my sympathies have always gone out to those families.

A few weeks ago a student at the middle school that I went to brought a gun to school. Just a few days ago it was made aware that his intentions were to shot himself in front of those that had bullied him for so long. He was hoping to send them a message.

This kid was expelled, and being tried as a minor, so I do not, and will not know anything else about the case. But, my assumptions are that he will be put into some "bad kids" school, were everyone there are professional bullies.

What about the kids who pushed him this far?

Yea, I may be taking a little twisted view on this, but isn't this about the same degree as those homosexual students who killed themselves because they were being bullied?

We need to stop bullying before it starts, we need to treat the cause of these situations not the symptoms. We can't only punish the poor little kid who finally snaps and does something about (though in these cases they are very extreme and severe.) 

I've never been one who likes violence, but I've also always been able to just shrug off taunts and what not. But those kids who can't just walk away, why can't they stand up and make themselves into people too?

Use your head kids, and your fists if need be.

Don't ruin your lives or anyone else's, just pound a face in.

Sorry for this suddenly serious topic.

Skot/Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know what you're going to say.