Sunday, January 16, 2011

I forgot to name this one...

Have you ever seen that episode of I Love Lucy where Lucy puts too much yeast in her bread? I always liked that episode, I would laugh from my toes everytime that loaf came flying out at her.

Well, that sort of happened today.

Roger (my roommate/landlord) and I, like to think that we're good cooks/bakers. We try hard, and what we make is usually quite edible, and occasionally, very good. (P.S. Hashbrowns made with french fries and bacon grease = best thing ever) With our random bits of kitchen knowledge, we tend to take on the persona of that old lady who refuses to cook with measuring cups. My grandma is like that, apparently, one "handful" is equal to one "cup" little did I know..

Anyway, Roger and I tend to only give a cursory glance at the recipe and generally to just wing the rest.



This morning as I was making my epic hashbrowns/bacon/eggs with hashbrowns and bacon in them, Roger decided to make bread.

This would at first be a wonderful idea, except we have no idea what of our flour is wheat, and which is white...So we just mixed it all in. No big deal right? A little crisco, a little bread thingy from a box (I cant remember the name, but Roger did say "Hmm, This is pretty old, we'd better use a lot.") and about an hour later, our bread machine exploded...

Roger and I were the other room, 'cause bread takes a while and we weren't just sit and watch it 'in case' something went wrong.


A few hours later we returned to the kitchen expecting to dig into delicious fresh bread, what we saw made us double over in fear (and laughter).

We had made a monster.

The top of the machine popped off, and dough was (honestly) pulsing down the side. I immediately began singing the Green Slime theme song (If you're confused click here.)

After an hour of digging our bread machine out, we discovered some bit of salvageable bread inside, so Roger and I took a well deserved break, and ate some fresh bread.

Mission: Accomplished.

Skot/Scott

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love it, this is hilarious, bot the incident and the descrptive writing. This made me smile so big! Way to go Roger, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That, right there. That's my mum. She loves me. :) You can tell by the way she didn't mention me at all in her comment...

    Love you, mum.

    ReplyDelete

I know what you're going to say.